Sunday, February 21, 2010

From the beginning of this course up until now, I have found that I have a better understanding of learning theories and learning styles. Although I feel that I have I have gained knowledge of this subject matter, my view of how I learn hasn't really changed. Prior to this course, I hadn't really pondered on the idea of how I learned. How people learn doesn't seem like it would be on most people's mind. I believe that people in general know that they are always learning but don't always understand or think about how it is that they learn what they learn.
I believe that my most productive learning comes from unconventional methods and I feel that the behaviorism theory best describes the way in which I learn. The behaviorism theory is associated with the changes in either the form or frequency of observable performance. I can say that I learn most effectively when proper environmental stimulus and response is present. I feel that I tend to recur appropriate responses when proper reinforcement is used. I believe that the behavioral theory best describes me when we speak in terms of memory, in that, due to non-use of a response or retained information, over time, I tend to forget it. I also learn best when I am provided with illustrations of concepts or recalling facts. For the most part, I learn best with repetition and prior illustrations or examples.
I am a firm believer that it is important to understand your own learning process so that you can use your own strategies to help you learn material, as well as, being able to share that information with a teacher or educator. When you are able provide an educator with such information, it allows for effective development of instruction. It is also important to understand your learning style, since one person is not limited to only one, so that you will able to pinpoint the areas that serve to be most difficult for you and enable you to get any required help that you may need.
From this learning experience, I feel that I have been educated on several technology tools that i can use according to the purpose in which I intend. I have a greater appreciation for technology and what it has to offer in terms of learning. I use the web most times to obtain new information but found that there are various tools that would provide additional new information.
This course has been a great learning experience for me and opened my eyes to other valuable options that can used to promote effective learning.
-Loretta Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment